Once you’ve made the decision to move forward with your remodeling project there are a few important things you can do in your home to get ready for construction to start. With good planning and preparation, you will find things will run quite smoothly. Be sure to give yourself adequate time to complete these steps so that you won’t be rushed the days before your remodel starts.
1. Clear out the area being remodeled.
Move furniture and accessories out of any areas being remodeled. Remove anything hanging on walls in the area, adjacent walls, and traffic areas where the remodel is occurring. Store in an unaffected area of your home or consider moving into storage.
2. Designate a room(s) for eating, watching TV, homework, etc.
Since there may be several areas in your home affected by your remodel, create areas where you can continue your daily routines during construction. Be sure to have all the items you would need on-hand in these new areas.
3. Clear out your driveway and garage.
Make sure that your driveway is accessible for deliveries. Prepare adequate room in your garage to store materials and your own belongings during the renovation. Your remodeler will alert you to delivery schedules and material storage needs.
4. Place pets in a closed-off room.
Place your pets and their food and water in a closed room away from the construction area. Consider doing this a few days before the actual start of your project to allow your pet to adjust to the new space.
5. Prep for kitchen remodels:
- Pack and label all the contents of your cabinets, drawers, and pantry. Set aside essentials in your designated eating area.
- Move your refrigerator to your garage or basement or consider getting a mini-fridge to use during the renovation.
- Plan and prepare meals ahead of time and freeze them for easy reheating.
- Use a microwave or hotplate to cook food if you will not have access to your stove or oven.
- Purchase disposable cups, plates, utensils.
At Thompson Remodeling after your project contract has been signed, we create a personalized schedule that maps out the start and finish dates on your project. We also perform extensive site protection and daily cleaning during your renovation. We want you have a great remodeling experience and we do everything we can to ensure that.