This is the time of year when our mudrooms are being put through their paces. If you have school-aged children or had grandchildren visit you over the holidays you experienced first hand how much stuff it takes to keep a family warm.
Here are a few tips to share from our small mudroom:
- Extra coat hooks for guests. Are hooks okay or do you need hangers?
- Ice melt away from kids – we have small children so our Ice Melt is way up high out of their reach. I keep the refill downstairs on a storage shelf so we don’t hav a 50 lb. bag on the mudroom floor.
- Baskets – Kristin labeled each basket with a picture. That is so cool!
- Boots & Shoes are directly on resilient flooring.
- Mailboxes – We have our at home Inboxes, and there is one for Bills.
- Electrical outlets – there is an outlet down low for the paper shredder and there is a quad outlet in the cabinet for cellphones & the ipod docking station. We have a no cellphone rule in the bedroom so this is where my smartphone gets parked. Yeah, you know who tried to take his phone to bed.
- Bead board – This is a simple architectural detail to make this very simple built-in look like a piece of furniture.
The cost on this built-in is very reasonable, it looks cool, and it functions great! Thank you, Sara Tow, www.MomsBloom.org, for the inspiration for this column via Facebook.