Quartz countertops were named top trends for both kitchen and bath designs this year in the annual National Kitchen & Bath Association (NKBA) member survey. The Thompson Remodeling design team was not at all surprised since quartz has been a popular selection for our clients over the past year. Read more
A great place to extend your living space is in your own backyard with an outdoor remodeling project. In recent years, homeowners have been using their backyard as a blank canvas to create great spaces to spend time with family and entertain guests. The latest trend in outdoor remodeling is designing outdoor versions of your favorite indoor spaces.
The Top Three Outdoor Remodeling Trends for Spring
- Outdoor Living Rooms – Think of a room without walls. Typically they are covered and feature flagstone or porcelain tile floors. Outfitted with all-weather furniture, televisions, sound systems, lighting, and ceiling fans they are perfect for spending warm weather evenings outside.
- Fireplaces – ranging from pre-fab to artfully designed brick or stone masonry. An outdoor fireplace allows you to extend the use of your outdoor spaces into the chillier months.
- Outdoor Kitchens – from simple to elaborate with built-in gas grills, sinks, refrigerators, countertops, and bar seating.
If your thinking about an outdoor remodeling project call Thompson Remodeling to discuss your ideas. We love working with clients to extend their living spaces outdoors. To view some of our outdoor remodeling projects click here.
Incorporating architectural details into your home remodeling project can bring warmth and character to a room and provide that finishing touch. Our designers can help you select the right architectural details to enhance any style — traditional, contemporary, modern, or transitional. Some of the details listed below are strictly cosmetic, while others offer a functional purpose as well.
Here are some of the most popular architectural details used in remodeling projects today:
Ceiling Treatments –a special ceiling creates visual interest and in some cases a sense of additional space.
Here are just a few of the options:
- Vaulted Ceiling – a tall, steeply pitched, angled ceiling
- Beamed Ceiling – characterized by exposed beams or joists arranged horizontally
- Coffered Ceiling – looks like a three-dimensional checkerboard
- Coved Ceiling – has a rounded concaved surface
Furniture Style Cabinetry – Decorative legs on kitchen islands or at the base of cabinets or vanities adds sophisticated elegance.
Niches – A niche is a shallow recess into a wall. Need a place to display a unique piece of art? Want to create a cool seating space in small room? A niche can be a practical and eye-catching solution.
Trimwork – Trimming windows, ceilings and entryways enhances lines and visual interest to room.
Built-ins –Built-ins are architecturally interesting and functional. The sky is the limit on what you can do and can run the gamut from bookshelves, china cabinets, computer workstations, and window seats.
Wall Treatments – Wainscoting is the most popular wall treatment and can be done in a wide variety of material and styles. Today, you can choose from porcelain or natural stone tiles in addition to wood. Another great way to emphasize your walls is to install picture-frame molding.
At Thompson Remodeling we will suggest architectural details that will enhance the overall design and function of your remodeling project. We want you to love your finished space and the details are what make it special!
4820 Cascade Rd SE,
Grand Rapids, MI 49546