If you are considering a major remodel to your home there are so many important reasons why you should hire a design build professional. Whether it’s your kitchen, bathroom or whole house renovation, this blog will help you examine the risks of doing-it-yourself or going with the lowest price firm.
You should hire a professional design build firm to avoid these issues!
- Poor craftsmanship. When you’ve made the decision to renovate your home, the last thing you want is for it to look bad. When unskilled carpenters or other subcontractors work on your home it will show in the finished product. Uneven flooring, poorly installed granite, plumbing or roofing that leaks are just a few examples. If it’s not done correctly the first time, it’s a waste of your time and money.
- Failure to get permits and/or follow codes. The state of Michigan has strict parameters around when permits are required for renovations on your home. Permits ensure that your renovation will be completely safely and within zoning laws and building codes. If authorities find that you are performing work without the proper permits you can be fined and may have to undo or redo work that has already been completed.
- Low Quality Materials. We completely understand that keeping your project within a budget is important and a design build professional can help you make selections that will fit within yours. A less experienced firm or handyman may use lower quality materials to keep the project cost down. Using inexpensive materials can come back to haunt you when they don’t hold up to use.
- Poor subcontractors. This is important! You want to be sure that every subcontractor working in your home is not only licensed and insured, but also trustworthy, professional, and experienced. If they are not and something goes wrong, you could be financially responsible for injuries that occur and for making repairs that don’t follow building codes.
- Safety is very important and professional design build firms understand this and take the proper precautions to protect your home and your family. As mentioned above, if a contractor does not have a license and some gets injured, you will be held responsible for covering medical expenses.
So in closing, make sure you do your research on any remodeling firm you are considering hiring. Make sure to verify that they are licensed and insured, ask for references and read their reviews, inquire about their professional accreditations, and be sure to understand the materials they specify for your project.