Making the decision to remodel your home is exciting. It’s easy to feel a little overwhelmed at first, so to help you prepare, we’ve compiled a list of tips to ensure a stress-free remodel.
- Research and collect photos of projects that you like. Use websites like Houzz or Pinterest to create idea books. Each will allow you to create a virtual scrapbook of photos that you like. This will help to convey the aesthetic that you have in mind for your project.
- Find out if you need HOA approval and what the process is to get it. Most communities have architectural guidelines for updates homeowners want to make to their homes. Your HOA may have guidelines for simple things like replacing a fence or front door to more complicated items like additions or a new deck. Guidelines can include material specifications as well as style and aesthetic characteristics. Your HOA will tell you what these are and what is needed to get approval.
- Develop a realistic budget for your project. This is best done in consultation with a remodeler or contractor. They will ask you questions about your project and will visit your home. After gaining a good understanding of what you want, they can work with you to develop the budget you will need.
- Hire a professional remodeler. This is very important! Hiring a professional will make an enormous difference in assuring your remodel goes well. They will determine when you need permits, and in many cases will get them for you. A professional remodeler will have a designer on staff to complete your design and work with you to make selections. They will have seasoned craftsmen on staff that hold themselves to high standards, know building codes, and what to do when something unexpected occurs. Do your research on reputable firms in your area. Make sure they are licensed in your state; check their ratings with the Better Business Bureau and other online review sites like Guild Quality, Yelp and Angie’s List. Look at photos of the work they have done. And of course, ask them about their warranty.
- Understand your project timeline. Ask your remodeler for a schedule. Know what to expect and when. This will minimize your surprises and allow you to be prepared for things that might require you to adjust your daily routine.
- Get a written contract. A professional remodeler will provide you with a written contract that will specify the scope of work, materials to be used, how change orders will be handled, payment schedules, and a completion date.
- Know whom to contact for issues and in case of emergency. Make sure to find out who the daily contact person is for your project as well as who to contact in the case of an emergency.
We hope these tips for a stress-free remodel are helpful. If you are considering a remodel, we’d love to help you create a space that you love! With our 30+ years serving West Michigan, our process ensures your project goes as smooth and enjoyable as possible for you, our client. Call us today to discuss your project at 616.942.1866.
Love Where You Live,
remodeling grand rapids mi,
planning a remodel,
thompson remodeling grand rapids