5 Tips to beat the heat in a poorly performing house:
1) Don't forget to close your windows and shades in the morning to keep in the cold air trapped inside during the day.
2) Change your furnace filter monthly or as soon as the light passing through it is reduced by particulates.
3) Keep your AC Condenser clear of plant material, level, and raised up off the ground at least a few inches.
4) Cut the power at the breaker box and rinse the fins of the condenser when dirty.
5) Put a fan at the bottom of the stairs blowing cold air up to the next level.