Your remodeling project is complete and now it's time to get decorating! You may have a room or two that didn't exist before, so adding new furniture and accessories is a must. In other cases, the existing decor may be outdated or you simply may be ready for a change. This is an exciting opportunity to finish putting the personal touches on your new spaces!
Here are some simple decorating tips to help you navigate the process.
1. Be sure to measure your rooms before you go shopping in person or online for furniture. You can utilize masking tape to mark the size of items you are considering purchasing to see how they will fit and test the flow of traffic around them.
2. Don't be afraid to select focal point items, such as a cool chair, lighting fixture, or wallpaper.
3. Always consider the comfort of the item as well as the style. You don't want to have beautiful dining room chairs that are miserable to sit in for an hour.
4. Avoid positioning sofas and chairs against walls in living and family rooms. Instead, create conversation areas that feel cozy by anchoring seating around a center table and area rug.
5. Be careful choosing the right size area rug. You should be able to position at least the front legs of your larger pieces of furniture on the rug, smaller items such as chairs or tables should be able to sit on the rug.
6. Add lighting! Don't just rely on recessed lights or ceiling fixture; add table lamps, floor lamps or even wall sconces.
7. Artwork should be scaled to fit the size of the wall and be hung at eye-level.
8. Curtains or drapes should just touch your floor. Depending on your ceiling height, you may need custom treatments.
9. Group accessories in odd numbers and of different sizes and height.
10. Mirrors are great for making a space feel brighter and larger.
11. Know when to call a professional! A professional decorator or interior designer can be very helpful when you have many spaces to decorate, want the advice of the professional, or simply don't have the time to do it all yourself.
We hope our tips have been helpful and hope you have fun decorating your newly remodeled spaces!