These are five, universal tools that everyone can use. Enjoy chores made easy!
1) Autobit screwdriver from Woodcraft in Kentwood or online.
2) LED Flashlights – buy yourself a 3 pack and stash them around the house. One place I keep one is in my dresser, another is the junk drawer in the kitchen. Another clever spot to stash one is at the electrical box. When the lights go out, I know where to find one. Here is an example from Amazon.
3) Folding Ladder – Little Giant or I bought a simple Werner version at Menards for $89. Here it is on Amazon.
4) Basic blow torch – My primary purpose for this is as fire starter. Pistol grip is easiest ($25ish) or the old school valve that you’ll use a flint sparker to start is the manliest for $8ish. You can buy the propane canisters at any hardware store.
5) No clog rakes by True Temper – cushy handle prevents blisters and tine design saves the hassle of releasing leave clumps from the tines. Buy on Amazon or at a local hardware store.
Bonus Tool: Log Tote
A log carrier allows you to carry more, stay clean yourself, and not have to sweep your floors after you bring logs in the house to start a fire. Inexpensive + Smart = Cool. You can buy it on Amazon.
Fun note: This content was shared on the final LIVE episode of the Thompson Remodeling Home Improvement Show on Newsradio WOOD 1300 & 106.9 on 9/3/11 www.woodradio.com