You’ve been thinking about a bathroom remodel for a while now. Every time you are in it you can’t help but notice all the things that you don’t like. If this sounds like you, you’re not alone. Bathrooms and kitchens are the rooms in our homes where we notice imperfections more readily than others. When these rooms aren’t allowing us to perform our regular daily functions as well as they could it becomes a major source of dissatisfaction.
How do you know when it’s time to remodel your bathroom? Motivations will vary by homeowner, but the five signs listed below are what we encounter the most when working on a bathroom remodel.
- Lifestyle changes. This can be anything from getting married or having a child to deciding to age-in-place. Whatever the case, your existing bathroom is not going to provide the appropriate functionality. A few examples may include: needing a double vanity, having a bathtub where you can bathe young children, or requiring a no-threshold showerfor ease of entry.
- It has seen better days. When you have damaged or worn fixtures or materials in your bathroom, that’s a good sign to remodel. Plumbing problems have a way of extending beyond the room where they start by causing leaks and/or mold problems.
- Constant clutter. Is your vanity always covered with stuff? Are you storing bathroom items in other rooms? This is a sign that you don’t have the proper storage needed. The size of a bathroom can present unique challenges when it comes to finding necessary storage options, but a creative designer will find ways to maximize available space.
- Insufficient lighting. Nothing is worse than not being able to see what you are doing in the shower or at your vanity.Insufficient lighting is very common in bathrooms, particularly in those without sources of natural light. Even without windows or skylights, a thoughtful lighting plan can ensure that your bathroom has enough light for you to perform your daily routine safely and with ease.
- It’s not your style.Perhaps you bought your house knowing that one day you would update the bathroom to a style that was more “you” or maybe you’ve just been in the home long enough that it’s become outdated. In either case, when it doesn’t suit your preferred aesthetic it will quickly become a place you don’t like to be in.
Are you experiencing any of the signs that it’s time to remodel your bathroom? Please, don’t hesitate to reach out to us to discuss your situation. With every remodel we complete, our goal is to help homeowners to love their homes again. We look forward to doing that for you!
thompson remodeling grand rapids mi