Basements used to be dark, dreary spaces reserved for storing holiday decor, your out-of-season wardrobe, and all sorts of other “stuff” you want to keep but need out of the way. Today, for many homeowners, it has become a place to entertain and hang out with the family, with beautiful finishes and spaces that feel like a natural extension of the rest of the home. If you are looking to create more usable space in your home, consider the generous square footage available in your basement and how you could customize it to suit your family’s needs.
Interested in a little inspiration? Here are six popular features we are seeing in basement remodeling along with some photos of recent Thompson remodels.
- Barn doors
In this remodel, the barn door creates a separation between the main entertainment areas and a playroom. They also add a nice design element!
- Reclaimed and rustic details
Here, weathered corrugated metal decorates the front of the bar area.
- Open floor plansOpen, multifunctional areas make this basement the perfect spot for the family to hang out and to host parties. Here, there's a kitchen area, dining and game space, and a tv viewing area.
- Great lightingJust because it's a basement doesn't mean it shouldn't be well lit! We use a combination of light sources like recessed lights, pendants, and even niche lighting.
- Sleek entertainment areasBig, bulky entertainment centers have become less popular and homeowners now have a preference for wall mounted flat screen televisions and wireless sound systems.
- Luxury vinyl plank flooringIt may look like wood, but it's much easier to take care of and clean! Not only that, but it's waterproof and holds up to heavy traffic.
basement finishing grand rapids mi,
thompson remodeling grand rapids mi,