Project Story: This master bathroom was out-of-date and the homeowners couldn’t wait to see their retro vanity and flooring disappear. The existing white tiled countertop made you feel like you had time traveled back to the 70’s. The homeowner told us the bathroom felt “gross” and the counters was really hard to clean. They wanted to update the space to be more cohesive with the rest of their home. She had a very specific design aesthetic: light, clean, and airy. Updating all the finishes and improving the shower footprint were critical to a successful design. Read more
This week we found out that we won a Regional CotY award from The National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI) for a recent master bath remodel we completed! What’s even more exciting is that this is the second year in a row that we have won in the Residential Bath $50,001-$75,000 category.
The Thompson Remodeling team is honored to be recognized again by NARI in this category. Our design team worked closely with the homeowners to create a master bath remodel that would provide maximum functionality, the best use of space, and a combination of modern and classic aesthetics. We share this award with our clients who had such a great vision for their perfect master bath! Read more
There’s more to your bathroom remodel design than simply where to place the toilet and sink. Even though bathrooms are the smallest rooms in the house, careful thought should go into how to maximize every square inch of space. Thompson Remodeling’s approach towards designing a great bath space is to marry beauty and function to best serve and reflect the main users. For a powder room you consider the guest, for a master bath you often need to accommodate two users, and for children’s baths there are all sorts of considerations for safety, storage, and bathing. Read more
Thinking of remodeling your bathroom? Make sure your design doesn’t include any of these common bathroom design mistakes.
Over the years we worked on many bathroom designs for all types of baths – master, guest and powder rooms. Although it might seem simple, there’s a lot to think about when creating a well-functioning bath. You have to consider the placement of all the necessary plumbing and fixtures, the lighting, storage, flooring, and window and door configuration. And then of course there are details like tile layouts for backsplashes and showers. Read more
It used to be that bathrooms were simple, utilitarian spaces. Not so anymore! Today, bathroom design trends lean toward creating a relaxing and luxurious place to start and end your day. Homeowners are remodeling bathrooms to remind them of their favorite hotels and they want the same type of amenities at home. Current bathroom design trends entice the homeowner to spend more time in the space – whether its relaxing in a steam bath or getting ready while listening to your iPod or watching TV.
Here are today’s top ten bathroom design trends:
1. Large showers with glass doors. Big, airy showers with rain heads and lots of body sprays are all the rage. Many times, showers are outfitted for two bathers. When space is an issue, homeowners are giving up their tub to make more space for a luxurious shower.
2. Soaking tubs. Jacuzzi tubs used to be incredibly popular, but now homeowners are opting for soaking tubs without all the surrounds that make getting in and out so tough.
3. Steam baths. Why go to the spa or the gym to take a steam bath when you can head up to your master bedroom?
4. Private toilets. Creating a small room within the bathroom for the toilet allows the bathroom to be used by more than one person at a time.
5. Entertainment outlets. Just like your favorite hotel, you can have a flat screen television situated behind the vanity mirror. Or, if you prefer to listen to music, you can outfit your shower or bathroom space with an audio system.
6. Layered lighting. A combination of functional and ambient lighting has become very popular. The combination of sconces at your vanity for functional, a decorative chandelier for ambient, and windows for natural light create the perfect mix of layered lighting.
7. Statement tile. Tile has been a style in bathrooms for quite some time, but the variety of options continues to build. New wood and stone printed porcelain, and graphic prints are becoming popular. Even tiling the entire room, walls and all is becoming a trend.
8. Vanities with storage. Vanities offering drawers and under sink storage are very popular. Incorporating a tower with drawers and cabinet space allows storage of linens and other necessities.
9. Spa amenities. Homeowners can add luxury without breaking the bank. Amenities such as heated towel warmers, backlit mirrors, and chromotherapy LED showerheads make you feel like you are at a five star hotel or spa.
10. Low flow/dual flush toilets. The most popular green trend in bathrooms is to install one of these water efficient toilets.
Are you considering a bathroom remodel? We’d love to help you create a space that you love! Call us today to discuss your project at 616.942.1866.
4820 Cascade Rd SE,
Grand Rapids, MI 49546